Friday, January 15, 2010

Time Marches on

Some of you may be wondering why I have not written this week. I can sum it up very quickly...I am old. I think I have been fighting this notion for some time now but the verdict is in...33 is the new 80. This week, after three weeks of crawling on the floor to pick up my kid's rooms kind of pain, I went to see a doctor about my chronic back issues. While he was very nice about the whole issue he told me that I have a weak SI joint at the bottom of my spine and that it would be something I would need to deal with on and off for the rest of my life. He gave me a prescription for steroids, suggested that I get some BenGay at the pharmacy and make sure to have plenty of moist heat wraps at home for when it goes out again. Great.
So off to the pharmacy I go to get my drugs, moist wraps and Ben Gay...there is no spring in my step. In fact, I am now wondering if I look like the hunchback I feel that I am as I walk through the parking lot. As I head into the pharmacy and hand over my prescription the woman looks at me over her glasses and says, "This is for you?" "Yes", I replied, "and I will be waiting for it". With that I turned and walked, or rather hobbled, confidently down the aisle to get my BenGay and moist heat wraps. This sucks.
As luck would have it I found the BenGay, heat wraps AND right next to them was a whole section on shoe inserts. Each package claimed they would relieve back aches and tired feet. Well crap, I might as well throw those puppies into the basket as well. So I returned to the pick-up window, grabbed my "roids" and paid for my other purchases. As I made my way out to the car I thought to myself (as I am only weeks away from turning 34) Is This The Beginning? We all have to have something. Is this my something? BenGay, shoe supports, anti-inflammatories and hobbling. As I slid into the driver's seat I took a quick look in the rear view mirror. Well I guess it could be worse. I could have had to by hair dye to cover greys. Maybe 34 wouldn't be so bad.

Be Glad!

No comments:

Post a Comment