Monday, January 4, 2010

The Beauty of Dance Class

Every morning at about 10am my daughter disappears up in her room. I hear the usual rummaging around in her toy chest and her usual mumbling to herself as she rummages. When she reappears she is flying down the stairs, turning the corner and twirling into the den. As she twirls she announces, "I am going to my dance class!"

When I peek in on her in the den she has chosen a princess dress complete with tulle skirt, satin top, rhinestone crown and plastic "high heel" shoes. When I comment on how beautiful her outfit is, she corrects me by reminding me that she is not herself but Belle, Ariel or Briar Rose (for those of you who do not know that is Sleeping Beauty). I pretend to be amazed by this transformation and immediately refer to her as her princess name. With that, she begins to hum to herself while twirling around the den. Spin after spin she smiles, hums and laughs. She is completely lost in her dance class and remains that way for the better part of an hour.

When she emerges from the den, she is out of breath and her cheeks are flushed. "Mommy, I danced and danced!" she tells me. "I had so much fun and my dancing was beautiful!". "Oh my dear," I say. "I am so glad you enjoyed yourself!" "Oh, I did Mommy, I had so much fun!" She then returns to her room, carefully flings her princess dress back into the chest and puts her clothes on for the day. When she comes back downstairs she is ready for lunch.

As I make her sandwich I often smile to myself and think about the idea of enrolling her in dance class. I imagine her dancing around a room laughing and enjoying herself. And then I stop and realize I am only imagining what I have just seen. She has created her own dance studio in our den and she loves it! She is her own choreographer, her own wardrobe designer and her own composer.
She begins "class" when she wants to and ends it when she is tired. She has created her own experience on her own terms.

Simply put, I can only say that to this creation, I am so impressed. She is not asking to go to dance class but is creating one for herself. She has launched herself into this activity and is completely satisfied by the experience. How I pray that this is a behavior and mindset that she carries through her life. How contented she will be.

Be Glad...and while you are at it go put on your favorite princess dress and twirl!


No comments:

Post a Comment