Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Significance of "I Do"

Last week my husband and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary. While it has been 7 years since we said "I do" I feel like I still hear that phrase on a daily basis. It meant to much to hear "I do" on my wedding day but today it means something very different.

Seven years ago "I do" meant the beginning of a life together, come what may. Now it means the separation of my children from their dependence on me. My oldest son now says "I do" when it comes to brushing his teeth and washing his own hair in the shower. My daughter says "I do" when she has to put on her snow boots, hat and mittens. And now my youngest son says "I do" when he eats his oatmeal in the morning or walks up and down the stairs by himself.

I used to think I would be sad when the children didn't need me to do every little thing for them. I enjoyed the satisfaction of knowing that I had washed their hair, tied their shoes or fed them their meals. But now that their independence is before me, developing as they blossom into "bigger kids" I realize "I do" enjoy watching them take care of their own needs. "I do" relish watching them smile and laugh as they complete simple daily tasks. "I do" has actually become one of the best things I can imagine to hear from my children.

Be Glad and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment