Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Raising The Sons of A Bitch

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch."

— Jack Nicholson

While I am consistently entertained by Jack Nicholson and his antics, this quote got me thinking. Is it so bad to be a bitch? I have two sons (5 and 1 1/2 years old) and I constantly feel like I am being a bitch, a nag or a nudge about one thing or another. However, if you are being a bitch for the right reasons then being a bitch is a good thing.

We all remember the girl in high school who was being a bitch for trying to steal a boyfriend. Or the college bitch who actually did steal a boyfriend. Those girls were being a bitch to be a bitch...there was no higher purpose to their bitchiness.

However, being the mother of two sons it is important to me that they have manners, treat each other well and look out for each other. It is not easy to drive home these behaviors without repetition. Hence, the feeling of nagging that permeates my conscience. Well, now I say enough! Cheers to all the bitchy mothers who nag their children and expect manners and respectful behavior. It is not an easy job we do and the easiest thing would be to give up and allow our children to behave any way that they choose. We need to start as we mean to go on and if my sons grow up and become polite and well-mannered men then I have done my job.

Be Glad For The BITCHES!

2 comments:

  1. The other nagging, bitchy thing mothers can do for their sons is remind them to ALWAYS put the toilet seat down...our son does and I tell him that one day his wife will appreciate him all the more for being such a gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's face it, women are the CEOs of their households...and principal trainers of their apprentice adults (i.e. children). There are lots of management styles, but I think it is pretty old school to think of women giving directives or orders as "bitchy" and men who give orders as "commanding" or "decisive."

    ReplyDelete